Thursday, August 28, 2008

What's in your suitcase?

One of my own favorite analogies as our older 2 have left home & in helping others manage through that stage of life:
We all have luggage we head out the door with as we leave home & set out on our own journey. (Some call it baggage, but at 47 that description doesn't make me want to pick it up!) We give our children a piece with a lot that is hanging out the seams and Boy! I sure hope my young adult children have rollers on those big ones! They'll choose to throw some of it away. They'll keep some of it. They'll pick up new things of their own to fill their carry-on - making sure it fits in the compartments on each part of the trip is always the trouble there. They have a backpack that is filled w/ genes. (A God designed and put-together piece - totally out of our control.) So they have their armload of duffles, totes, and garment bags - that will help and hinder them live on this road. What was your luggage like when you left home? And now - in my case almost 30 years later - how has that luggage changed? Now what is the 1 thing I want with me every step down that path and how can I make sure that 1 thing is what my children take with them as they walk out the door? GOD and His revealed Word! How can we live without IT?!?! CJT 2006

No comments: